EtymologyFrom polwigge; polwygle: poll + wiggle.
- (and dialectical) A tadpole.
A pollywog is:
- in zoology, a Tadpole (amphibious offspring, not yet in adult form)
- the term for a (military or commercial) sailor who has not participated in the ritual initiation when crossing the equator for the first time
- the name of a local road in Glades County Florida that connects to SR 29
- a character of the same name featured in the children's television series Gullah Gullah Island
amphibian, batrachian, birdling, bullfrog, calf, catling, chick, chickling, chicky, colt, croaker, cub, dogie, duckling, fawn, fledgling, foal, frog, fryer, gosling, hoppytoad, hoptoad, kid, kit, kitten, lamb, lambkin, landlubber, litter, lubber, nest, nestling, newt, paddock, piglet, pigling, pullet, pup, puppy, salamander, shoat, tadpole, toad, tree frog, tree toad, weaner, whelp, yeanling